Tuesday 9 March 2010

Student sport, here I come.

I’m not going to lie to you. I am pretty excited about this week.

Tomorrow sees the start of the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Championships in Sheffield.

This festival of sport will see 6000 student athletes compete in 26 sports over five days at venues across the Steel City and I will be there.

I’m part of the student media team for the event and as such will be winding my way across Sheffield covering a multitude of different events for BUCS.

My excitement stems from two facts. The first that I can escape my cold, damp student house for a few days and move into a warm, dry hotel whilst the second is the fact that I will spend the next five days watching the best that student sport this country has to offer.

I got my schedule yesterday morning, causing a fresh wave of excitement. I start tomorrow with women’s football before covering, amongst others, hockey, boxing and basketball.

All reports from the Championships will be on bucs.org.uk with next week’s Forge Press focusing on how the University of Sheffield clubs get on.

All of which leaves me free to give a more personal view on this blog and no doubt give some very random comments.

Wish me luck as I wade into the sometimes weird, always intriguing world of student sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment