Thursday 11 March 2010

Hockey on the rise?

Hockey is a great sport.

I challenge anyone to show me that I am wrong in my statement. It is fast, physical, skilful and open to everyone, male and female, young and old.

In my opinion, the fact that it is not more popular amongst the majority in this country is a massive shame.

However, there are signs that it might be time for me to banish my disappointment.

Not only have the England men’s team just had a successful World Cup, reaching the last four, but I have seen evidence that the game is flourishing at university level.

I spent all of today at the BUCS Hockey finals and was pleased to see that there is a passion for the sport at that level and that this is beginning to translate onto the national stage.

A quick look through the programme showed you all you needed to know. Next to maybe half of the names were notes telling you that they had gained some sort of representative honour, be that under-19, under-21 or, in a few cases, full international honours.

PricewaterhouseCoopers have sponsored university hockey this year, another sign that the sport is starting to come more into the public consciousness.

Another sign is the way that the bar was packed with people crowding to watch the England Germany match in the bar. I know that these were, for the most part, hockey people but it was so encouraging to connect some of the feelings and experiences that one normally associates with football and rugby to hockey instead.

I really hope that in years to come people see hockey in a similar way to how rugby is viewed, as a good quality winter alternative to football. The signs of that happening are definitely starting to show themselves.

£ Elsewhere today and my adventure as a high flying journo has continued.

After last night’s late finish, today started bright and early with a good hearty English breakfast, the holiday feel only broken when I realised I was going to be outside in Sheffield in March for most of the day.

I have spent today talking to players who represent their country, passionate supporters of university sport and, once again, John Inverdale. I think he is my new best friend.

Seriously though, if anyone can think of many things that are better than spending your day outside, watching top quality sport with passionate people then let me know, I want to give them a try.

Tomorrow, the possible future of small sided football; futsal. Oh and possibly a Sheffield success story in the table tennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment