Sunday 9 May 2010

Long time, no post.

I realise that it has been a while since I wrote anything on this blog. For that you have my deepest apologies and the vague excuse that the last month has been one of the most hectic ever.

In it I have handed in three essays, completed a week long work experience at The Independent and spent far too much time thinking about what the next year might bring.

I am currently in the process of attempting to find a job in journalism, a feat much easier to write about than actually do. It appears my only bet at the moment is at the BBC, which would be a nice!

Anyway, just thought that it would be ruse to go much longer without a little update on me and will say now in writing that I will hopefully have a fully fledged, proper post done by the end of this week, essays permitting (I have another two to do).

For now I would just like to say that I was at Hillsborough for the relegation clash with Crystal Palace and witnessed first hand the violent scenes in and around the game at the end. Even from the press box, it was a disgusting sight.

The fact that the next day saw similar scenes at Kenilworth Road is a warning to us all that there are still mindless idiots out there and that the game has still got a long way to go if it wants to enjoy the type of reputation that other sports do.

Worryingly, a brief look at the message boards and listen to the phone-ins and it becomes obvious that there are also still people stupid enough to try and defend the actions of the thugs with excuse of “passion”. For me this is the scariest thing. Violence is still accepted even by some of those who do not partake in it themselves. I really do worry sometimes about the football fans in this country.

On a more positive note, there is just over a month till the World Cup and I am getting excited already. Mr Capello names his provisional 30 man squad on Tuesday and, if you are listening Fabio, please take Darren Bent!

No comments:

Post a Comment